Wednesday 14 October 2015

Thanksgiving weekend racing fun!

Last weekend was Thanksgiving, and for us that meant extra family time; one of the things I'm most thankful for. Our extra family time this past weekend was spent doing what we love - racing and having fun! It was a jam-packed race weekend with not one, not two, but THREE cyclocross races and a turkey trot thrown in just because we could. With it being Thanksgiving we had the bonus of that extra weekend day, which allowed for another race day; so why not right?


It all started Friday night with an eliminator style cyclocross race. With it only being one lap at a time, you pushed yourself harder than you would if you had 4-5 laps together; but that was ok. It was only 1 lap and then time to recover right? Well, the recovery ended up being much shorter than anticipated, so it was sprint like hell, rest a minute or two and go again! It was crazy fast but so much fun! The way the heats worked out, with all ages and categories mixed, we even had a heat with all three of us together!


Saturday was a great race day. The boys were up in the morning, and I cheered and cowbelled my little heart out for them both until it was my turn. The weather was beautiful that day and I had some fun battles with some strong chicks out on the course. I felt in the groove (as much as I can for my lack of cyclocross skills) and my legs felt strong. I finished hard, exhausted and with carnage at the finish. Just what it should be; and I couldn't wait to do it again the next day!


Sunday, much to my dislike, ended up NOT being a great race day for me. While I woke up excited to battle it out again, I just didn't have that cross flow in me come race time. I felt slow, legs heavy and seemed to be hitting every root I could find which rocked me all over the place. Let's just say Sunday was not a smooth race. I find cyclocross funny that way, some days you rock it and some days it rocks you.

Pain face - photo credit: Bill Quinney
My boys however, both had a great race day on Sunday, battling the insane 90-100km/hr (!!) gusts of wind as they powered through the course. That crazy wind did however make for some wicked giant leaf piles. Can you spot the feet?

New pre-race warm-up: leaf pile jumping!
Monday's race was my favorite day of all! It was a family race that we were all doing together, so I was thinking it would be a nice easy run on the trails with my boys. Little did I know my littleman would crush the course and the leisurely 5km I had pictured was a full out race! Running side by side my bean I was fighting back the Mama tears. I couldn't have been more proud of him! It was the best run ever.

We rounded out the weekend with a great home-cooked family meal sharing the many things we're thankful for. (No pictures, we ate it too fast!)

Moving onto next weekend...I'm looking for redemption. Saturday is a double-header for me with a noon cross-country race then evening cyclocross. Sunday we wrap it up with cyclocross provincials for one great weekend! Another triple header and I love it! Race, refuel, rest, repeat! Fall is a wonderful time of year and I'm so thankful we get to do it all as a family!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fantastic weekend! I haven't tried the elimination style racing. Sounds a bit like some of the track events (individual pursuit). Glad to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelli! Thanks for reading! The elimination was definitely new, but quite fun!

      Delete
  2. Oh, my gosh, Jenn; this is SO AWESOME!! That race on Friday night sounds both crazy AND fun; I'm sorry that you couldn't find your flow on Sunday; the same goes for road races - some days are good and some days, well... - and I can relate. I know you'll kick ass this weekend!! You are awesome!! Congrats to the kiddos for doing such a great job; I know where they get that heart to tough it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much fun Tara! And yes, road (and xc too) races are totally like that ... on days where I don't feel like I have it, it can be there! The thrill of racing!!

      Delete