Tuesday 31 March 2015

Recovery. It's a hard thing to do and I hate it.

I know it's necessary, but that doesn't mean I need to like it. I've been training and racing for triathlons and running races for many, many years but my need for recovery has never been so important as of late. I don't want to call it "getting older", so let's not.


February and March I saw some of my best training sessions ever, and hit times that I was really happy with, but then I "forget" to recover. I don't want to, I just want to keep going. Luckily my body loves to remind me with it's many un-pleasantries, and so I'm learning to listen a little better. If maintaining my hard training means more rolling, more stretching, more "rest", then I'm game; I'll do it.


 But I won't like it.

With March all done, I'm looking forward to April and getting my spring racing season officially started! I pulled the plug on the indoor trainer last week and officially moved my bike to outside rides!

Nothing better than fresh air! 

I have three scheduled races so far in April. A 5km mid-month and then two more towards the end, on the same weekend; less than 12 hours apart! I can't wait! The double header is a night time trail race on Saturday, followed by an early morning aquathlon on Sunday; the final in the series and my last indoor competition for the year! (And yes, recovery is on my radar!)

Spring has brought us some weird weather, but I've been thankful for the beautiful days that we've had and can't wait for more to come!


Recovery is a bitch, there's no doubt about it. I don't want to do it, but I know I need it, and so I will; because I have many, many more miles in me yet to be discovered!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for getting outdoors and riding! I'm still indoors on the trainer although it is so nice here right now. Yes, remembering to recover can be tough (especially if recovery includes stretching and foam rolling)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Recovery is brutal ... and I find as I'm getting older it's taking up more and more of my time. UG. I just couldn't take the indoors any more, it means wacky weather (ahem, like yesterday) but too many hours inside drives me nuts! Hope you get your bike out soon! Enjoy the day!

      Delete